- Take The Stress Out of Your Move With Our Moving Checklist
Take The Stress Out of Your Move With Our Moving Checklist
Packing up and moving your entire life can be a big job, but there are many ways to make it easier on you and your family. This moving checklist will help keep things straight and simple when you’re getting ready to pack up the moving truck.
Two Months Before
- Sort and purge: There is no point in taking items you don’t need or use to your new home. Purge each room in your home months in advance of moving and organize items as you go.
- Research. If you’re looking to hire a moving company, start researching now. Gather a few estimates to determine the best company for your needs and budget.
- Create an organization system. Whether you use a binder, an envelope or any other kind of filing system, find a way to store your receipts, estimates and inventory of all your items.
Six Weeks Before
- Order/purchase supplies. Order or purchase moving boxes, tape, packing supplies, etc. You want to be sure you don’t run short on supplies.
- Use or purge. Say hello to random meals. Eat things that are frozen or perishable to use them up. The less you have to move the better! Also, use up your cleaning supplies as much as possible.
One Month Before
- Book your moving company. Choose the best mover for your needs and get a written confirmation of your moving date, costs, etc.
- Start packing. Starting packing the items you use most infrequently. Make a note of any valuables for insurance purposes and inquire about additional insurance if needed.
- Start labeling. Clearly label each box with its contents and the room it belongs in. This will save you hassle when you move to your new home whether packing your own items or hiring a company to do it for you.
- Pack your valuables. Pack items such a jewelry, personal documents and more into a box or two that you will move to your new home yourself.
- Change your address. Head to your post office and fill out a change of address form. Alternatively, contact all of your lenders, your bank, your utility company, etc. to change your billing/service address.
Two Weeks Before
- Tend to your safety deposit box. If you’re changing banks, be sure to clean out and transfer your safety deposit box contents.
- Reconfirm your arrangements with your moving company.
One Week Before
- Refill prescriptions. Be sure you or other family members have enough prescription medications for the next couple of weeks.
- Pack up. Now is the time to back your suitcases with enough clothing to wear for a few days. That way you’ll be covered for a few days but have everything else ready for moving day.
A Few Days Before
- Fridge and freezer prep. If you’re moving your fridge and freezer be sure to empty, clean and defrost it at least 24 hours in advance.
- Arrange payment. Arrange payment for your moving company when they arrive. Have your cash, cheque or credit card ready and be sure to set aside a fair tip for a job well done.
- Take inventory. Before the mover’s leave, sign the inventory list and keep your copy handy for reference.
Do you have any tips you’d add to this list to make moving day less stressful?